I always eat a mid-morning and mid-afternoon snack. If I skip it, my stomach growls like crazy!! Remember....your body needs food to keep your metabolism going...don't starve it...or it will slow your metabolism down and you'll stop burning calories.
My favorite snack is fruit!! I don't think you can ever eat too much fruit...but with everything you eat, you still have to eat in moderation. Fruit has natural fiber...and fiber keeps you satisfied and feeling full for a longer period of time.
Fruits that I love, and when I like to eat it:
- Banana - Sliced with Oatmeal; top with Cinnamon & Natural Honey (DELICIOUS!!)
- Gala Apples - Sliced; dip it in 2 TBSP of Almond Butter or Creamy all-natural Peanut Butter
- Frozen Blueberries (no sugar added) - with Oatmeal (if I don't have a banana)
- Frozen Strawberries (no sugar added) - with Protein Shakes and blend into a Smoothie
- Cantaloupe - Snack or with a meal
- Watermelon - Snack or with a meal
- Red/Green Grapes - Try them frozen...feels like a special treat!
- Blackberries/Raspberries - Great in smoothies or with strawberries
My "comfort" food is Mexican! My other favorite snack is Chips with Salsa or fresh Guacamole. My favorite brand of chips is made by La Favorita and has only 60 calories per serving (1 serving = 10 chips); 2.5 g/Fat and 9g/Carbs (no sugar). Great STATS for tortilla chips, don't you think??!! My favorite salsa is La Victoria Thick 'n Chunky Salsa Verde (it's a green chili salsa....so good!!)
My caution to you: Avoid buying the pre-packaged light or sugar-free snacks. These are processed foods and don't hold any nutritional value. I don't eat a lot of crackers, but one of my favorites to buy is Wheat Thin Crisps. I'm not much of a "nuts" eater, but I know that Almonds are one of the best options for snacking on...but you have to watch the portion amount.
Chime in.....What is your favorite healthy snack?