Friday, November 1, 2013

Wrote this post...but forgot to publish it!

I can't believe my first marathon is in 2 days!!  This month has been CRAZY leading up to this monumental event in my life! I didn't set out to run a marathon in 2013...but I'm so glad that I made the decision to go for it and follow a training plan!

I got off my training plan due to traveling for 5 days and getting sick with a head cold at the same time!! :( It took me about 8 days to fully recover before I could even have the strength to run again. Even after I started to run again, I still was battling with a stuffy nose and plugged ears for the last 2 weeks.  This week, only days before my big race, I'm finally over the head cold and stuffy nose and feeling energized and nervous all at the same time!!  The Rock 'N' Roll Marathon is taking place in Denver, CO, so I'll be leaving on Saturday to head up to Denver.  They are having a huge EXPO in the downtown convention center, which is where I have to go to pick up my Race Packet.  I'm hoping to sign up with an official "Pacing Team" to finish the race in under 5 hours.  My and my family are staying in a hotel in downtown Denver, just blocks from the START and FINISH line!!  I've been slowly packing my bag all week...just trying to make sure I remember all of my running & race gear for the big day!!

This week, I've been eating the white stuff to "carb-load" for this race.  I had a burrito from Q-Doba loaded with rice, chicken, fajita veggies and guacamole...it was delicious! I usually eat a "naked burrito" with no rice! Later today, I'm planning to make Linguine with Pesto sauce and a Quinoa Salad with shredded chicken, cherry tomatoes and fresh mozzarella to bring on the road with me tomorrow!!  It's easy to get off track and eat unhealthy when carb-loading, but I know that if I stay focused and still eat healthy...it will help me that much more on race day.

My recovery plan:  I plan to eat very CLEAN to make sure I drop the few extra pounds that I've gained this past month (about 4 lbs)!! Eating lots of fruits, veggies and lean protein is always the best for your body! I plan to continue running a few times a week, but I don't get outside much now that the days are getting shorter and winter is here.  I'll stick with "Tabata" interval running on the treadmill, and I also want to get back into doing my HIIT routines at home or at the gym. I see the best results with my body when I stick to HIIT workouts!! They really work your muscles hard and shed the extra inches off your waist, arms and legs.

No comments:

Post a Comment